2017-2018 winter STEM camp
New for this Year, we are adding A STEM CAMP for our students!
STEM is a new curriculum, gaining in popularity, Intended to prepare students for careers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.
STEM education creates critical thinkers, increases science literacy, and enables the next generation of innovators. According to the U.S. Department of Commerce, STEM degree holders have a higher income even in non-STEM careers.
The McMaster STEM Winter Camp offers students fun and creative hands-on engineering projects which address knowledge of physics, biology and chemistry. Attending the McMaster tutoring STEM camp can inspire students to do better in their STEM related classes at school.
We are very proud to be able to present Ms. Lidan Zhou, an award winning STEM middle school teacher from Manhattan, NY who will be teaching our new STEM camp!
Three design challenges:
- Rube Goldberg Machine! Students will design and build the most fun and creative miniature of the Rube Goldberg machine that uses a chain reaction to accomplish a very simple task but in a very complex way.
- Prosthetic Beak for Survival! Students will design and build a model of a bird’s beak that helps the bird to win the most food in order to survive.
- Chemical Car Race! Students will design and build cars that are driven by chemical reactions. They will then compete in a race to see which one is fastest!
Introduction to Visual Programming:
Scratch is a visual programming language developed by MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology). Scratch is fun, educational, and easy to learn. It has the tools for creating interactive stories, games, art, simulations, and more.
Three introductory Scratch Projects:
- Animate a Name! Students will gain experience with coding as they animate on screen the letters in their names.
- Make It Fly! Students will choose a character and program it to fly in an interactive story.
- Make Music! Students will choose instruments, program sounds and key presses to play music in a simulation.
COST- $150 PER STUDENT
For Students - 5th Grade through 8th Grade
DATES- December 27Th TO 29TH
TIME- 9:00 am TO 12:00 pM EACH DAY
*** Please bring your laptop! (required) ***